Switch medication from sertraline to trazodone.
- Before day 1: gradually reduce dosage of sertraline to a maximum of 50 mg/ day, when this dosage is > 50 mg/day.
- Day 1: reduce dosage of sertraline to 25 mg/day.
- Day 8: stop administration of sertraline.
- Day 9: start trazodone in dosage of 100-150 mg/day.
- Day 14: If necessary, increase the dosage of trazodone every 3-4 days with 50 mg to a maximum of 400 mg/day.
- Sertraline dose-dependently slows the metabolism of trazodone via CYP2D6, so caution is necessary.
- Occurrence of the serotonin syndrome is not likely, but theoretically possible, so caution is necessary.
- This switch is currently being reviewed.
The editors of psychiatrienet.nl take the greatest care to provide up-to-date and accurate information on this site. Nevertheless, mistakes and omissions cannot be entirely excluded. No rights devolve from the information provided. The editors and other providers of information to this site accept no responsibility for the content of this site or for the information provided therein; neither do they accept responsibility for possible damages which may derive from the use of the information on this site or from the linked sites. The editorial board accepts no responsibility for the content of the (linked) sites, for access to them, or for the products and services on these sites, nor for the occurrence of errors, viruses, and/or disruptions in service.