Switch medication from bupropion to venlafaxine.
- Gradually reduce dosage of bupropion to a maximum of 150 mg/day.
- When a dosage of 150 mg/day is reached, stop administration.
- Day 1-7: a wash-out period of at least one week is necessary.
- Day 8: start venlafaxine in a normal dosage of 37,5 mg or 75 mg (slow release) /day.
- By considering a wash-out period of one week (5 times the elimination time of bupropion and its metabolites) it is assured that all bupropion has left the body and no drug interactions occur.
- Bupropion slows the metabolism of venlafaxine by CYP2D6.
- Kennedy et al, Antipsychotic drugs and QT prolongation. J Clin Psychiatry 2002 March;63(3):181-6.
The editors of psychiatrienet.nl take the greatest care to provide up-to-date and accurate information on this site. Nevertheless, mistakes and omissions cannot be entirely excluded. No rights devolve from the information provided. The editors and other providers of information to this site accept no responsibility for the content of this site or for the information provided therein; neither do they accept responsibility for possible damages which may derive from the use of the information on this site or from the linked sites. The editorial board accepts no responsibility for the content of the (linked) sites, for access to them, or for the products and services on these sites, nor for the occurrence of errors, viruses, and/or disruptions in service.