Switch medication from fluoxetine to bupropion.
- Gradually reduce dosage of fluoxetine to a maximum of 20 mg/ day, when this dosage is > 20 mg/day.
- When a dosage of 20 mg/day is reached, stop administration.
- Day 1-28: administration of bupropion in a low dosage of 150 mg/day.
- Day 29 and on: if necessary increase bupropion to 300 mg/day.
- Bupropion inhibits CYP2D6 which metabolizes fluoxetine.
- Because of the normal half-life of 1 week of desmethylfluoxetine, there should be a low dosing of bupropion during 4 weeks.
- This switch is currently being reviewed.
The editors of psychiatrienet.nl take the greatest care to provide up-to-date and accurate information on this site. Nevertheless, mistakes and omissions cannot be entirely excluded. No rights devolve from the information provided. The editors and other providers of information to this site accept no responsibility for the content of this site or for the information provided therein; neither do they accept responsibility for possible damages which may derive from the use of the information on this site or from the linked sites. The editorial board accepts no responsibility for the content of the (linked) sites, for access to them, or for the products and services on these sites, nor for the occurrence of errors, viruses, and/or disruptions in service.