Switch medication from fluoxetine to citalopram.
- Before day 1: reduce dosage of fluoxetine with about 20 mg per week.
- Day 1: stop fluoxetine.
- No wash-out period is needed.
- Day 2: start citalopram the next day in low dosage of 10 mg/day.
- Day 15: increase dosage of citalopram to normal, i.e. 20 mg/day.
- Fluoxetine has a very long elimination time; phasing out fluoxetine is therefore not necessary.
- Occurrence of the serotonin syndrome is not likely, but theoretically possible, so caution is necessary.
- Fluoxetine inhibits CYP2C19, CYP2D6 and CYP3A4, which metabolize citalopram.
The editors of psychiatrienet.nl take the greatest care to provide up-to-date and accurate information on this site. Nevertheless, mistakes and omissions cannot be entirely excluded. No rights devolve from the information provided. The editors and other providers of information to this site accept no responsibility for the content of this site or for the information provided therein; neither do they accept responsibility for possible damages which may derive from the use of the information on this site or from the linked sites. The editorial board accepts no responsibility for the content of the (linked) sites, for access to them, or for the products and services on these sites, nor for the occurrence of errors, viruses, and/or disruptions in service.