Switch medication from nortriptyline to hypericum.
- Before day 1: gradually reduce dosage of nortriptyline to a maximum of 50 mg/ day, when this dosage is > 50 mg/day.
- Day 1-3: reduce dosage of nortriptyline to 25 mg/day.
- Day 4-7: reduce dosage of nortriptyline to 10 mg/day.
- Day 8: stop administration of nortriptyline.
- Day 8-15: a wash-out period of one week is necessary.
- Day 16: start administration of hypericum in a dosage of 300 mg three times a day (900 mg/day).
- Occurrence of serotonin syndrome is theoretically possible, so caution is necessary.
- Hypericum induces enzymes of the CYP P-450 type and P-gp type.
- Hypericum might have MAO-inhibiting and/or COMT-inhibiting properties.
- Many studies reported that hypericin is the main source of pharmacological effects of hypericum. However the IC50 of hypericin to inhibit MAO A and MAO B is 100- to 1000-fold higher than accessible Cmax values of hypericin after oral administration of hypericum.
- The T1/2 of hypericum is 19 - 37 hour.
The editors of psychiatrienet.nl take the greatest care to provide up-to-date and accurate information on this site. Nevertheless, mistakes and omissions cannot be entirely excluded. No rights devolve from the information provided. The editors and other providers of information to this site accept no responsibility for the content of this site or for the information provided therein; neither do they accept responsibility for possible damages which may derive from the use of the information on this site or from the linked sites. The editorial board accepts no responsibility for the content of the (linked) sites, for access to them, or for the products and services on these sites, nor for the occurrence of errors, viruses, and/or disruptions in service.