Revision as of 16:32, 23 April 2010 by Musys
- Abrupt stop of carbamazepine can cause serious lamotrigine rash as lamotrigine levels increase. 
- Carbamazepine likely speeds the metabolism of lamotrigine, but the clinical significance is unclear.
- Lamotrigine may increase blood levels of carbamazepine metabolites, which can result in neurotoxicity (data about this are contradictory). 
- These two agents have less significant pharmacologic interactions than do lamotrigine and valproate 
- Koch HJ et al. Clinically relevant reduction of lamotrigine concentrations by carbamazepine. J Clin Psychiatry 2005;66:400-1
- Freeman et al. Mood stabilizer Combinations: A Review of Safety and Efficacy. Am J Psychiatry 1998;155:12-21
- Levy RH et al, Metabolic Drug Interactions, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, 2000.