Adding topiramate to quetiapine.
- Quetiapine is principally metabolized by CYP3A4 to active and inactive metabolites.
- Topiramate induces CYP3A4 and is an inhibitor of CYP2C19.
- This combination of drugs may have possible synergistic effects. However, this combination will also have additive side effects. Dose adaptation will be recommended for this combination.
- Start topiramate according general dosing advice.
- Caution is advised when topiramate is prescribed with other drugs that predispose patients to heat-related disorders, including carbonic anhydrase inhibitors and drugs with anticholinergic activity. 
- KNMP; Informatorium Medicamentorum 2015; Monografie "quetiapine" (Dutch)
- NVZA; Toxicology.org; Monografie 73 (dutch)
- Woods SW Chlorpromazine equivalent doses for the newer atypical antipsychotics J Clin Psychiatry 2003;64:663-667
- Drugs.com quetiapine-fumarate
- Farmacotherapeutisch Kompas - topiramaat (dutch)
- Interactions between quetiapine and topiramate on drugs.com
The editors of psychiatrienet.nl take the greatest care to provide up-to-date and accurate information on this site. Nevertheless, mistakes and omissions cannot be entirely excluded. No rights devolve from the information provided. The editors and other providers of information to this site accept no responsibility for the content of this site or for the information provided therein; neither do they accept responsibility for possible damages which may derive from the use of the information on this site or from the linked sites. The editorial board accepts no responsibility for the content of the (linked) sites, for access to them, or for the products and services on these sites, nor for the occurrence of errors, viruses, and/or disruptions in service.