Switch medication from fluoxetine to maprotiline.
- Reduce the dosage to 20mg/day and then stop the administration
Caution is necessary for at least four weeks.
- Day 2: start administration of maprotiline in a low dosage of 25 mg/day.
- Day 15: increase dosage of maprotiline to 50 mg/day.
- Day 29: gradually increase dosage of maprotiline to 75 mg/day and more.
- Fluoxetine and norfluoxetine slow the metabolism of maprotiline via CYP2D6.
- Fluoxetine and its metababolite desmethyl-fluoxetine have a very long elimination time of about 1 week; phasing out fluoxetine is therefore not necessary.
- Start low, go slow for maprotiline.
The editors of psychiatrienet.nl take the greatest care to provide up-to-date and accurate information on this site. Nevertheless, mistakes and omissions cannot be entirely excluded. No rights devolve from the information provided. The editors and other providers of information to this site accept no responsibility for the content of this site or for the information provided therein; neither do they accept responsibility for possible damages which may derive from the use of the information on this site or from the linked sites. The editorial board accepts no responsibility for the content of the (linked) sites, for access to them, or for the products and services on these sites, nor for the occurrence of errors, viruses, and/or disruptions in service.