There are 2 switch possibities:
Number 1 (the general approach):
- Day 1: Switch to oral risperidone (or oral paliperidone): see this switch in the main cross table.
- Day 1-29: Maintain on oral risperidone (or oral paliperidone) and examine the effects.
- Day 30: stop oral risperidone (or oral paliperidone) and administer paliperidone-LA: see this switch in the main cross table.
Oral risperidone has better and more stable bioavailability properties than has oral 9-OH-risperidone=paliperidone. Food increases the absorption with 50-60% of the latter.
Number 2 (if a patient in the past reacted well on risperidon or paliperidone=9-OH-risperidone):
Switch medication from Sertindole to Paliperidone_LA.
- Week 1-3: approx. 75% of initial dose
- Week 4-6: approx. 50% of initial dose
- Week 7-9: approx. 25% of initial dose
- Week 10: stop
- Day 1: Start depot according general dosing advice (Dotted line in graph)
- Alternatively, first switch to oral form and then switch to depot to manage possible (adverse) reactions. With a direct switch to a depot it is advisable to administer a low testdose in order to exclude adverse reactions.