Switch medication from bupropion to fluoxetine.
- Before day 1: Gradually reduce dosage of bupropion to a maximum of 150 mg/ day.
- Day 1: Stop administration of bupropion
- Day 2: Start administration of fluoxetine in a dosage of 20 mg/day.
- After 3 weeks: If necessary, gradually increase dosage of fluoxetine to max. 60 mg/day
- No wash-out period is needed.
- Bupropion and its metabolites have long elimination times, so plasma concentrations will reduce gradually.
- Bupropion slows the metabolism of fluoxetine by CYP2D6.
- The interaction by CYP2D6-inhibition is not relevant because of low dosages during the switch.
The editors of psychiatrienet.nl take the greatest care to provide up-to-date and accurate information on this site. Nevertheless, mistakes and omissions cannot be entirely excluded. No rights devolve from the information provided. The editors and other providers of information to this site accept no responsibility for the content of this site or for the information provided therein; neither do they accept responsibility for possible damages which may derive from the use of the information on this site or from the linked sites. The editorial board accepts no responsibility for the content of the (linked) sites, for access to them, or for the products and services on these sites, nor for the occurrence of errors, viruses, and/or disruptions in service.