Adding carbamazepine to topiramate.
- Topiramate induces CYP3A4 and is an inhibitor of CYP2C19.
- Carbamazepine is principally metabolized by CYP3A4, and is a potent inducer of CYP1A2, CYP2C9, CYP3A4 and UDP-glucuronosyltransferases.
- Carbamazepine can increase topiramate clearance. By adding topiramate to carbamazepine no dose adaptation is necessary.   
- This combination of drugs is subject to pharmacokinetic drug interactions. Discontinuation or dose reduction of either drug will need monitoring of the clinical effects and dose adaptation of the drug remained.
- Farmacotherapeutisch Kompas - topiramaat (dutch)
Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "ftk" defined multiple times with different content
- WHO Collaborating Centre for Drug Statistics Methodology ATC=N03AF01
- Farmacotherapeutisch Kompas; Toxicologie (dutch)
- KNMP; Informatorium Medicamentorum 2015; Monografie "carbamazepine" (Dutch)
- Bazire S, Pshychotropic Drug Directory 2007, HealthComm UK Limited, Aberdeen, 2007.
- Schalekamp T. et al, Interacties met Psychofarmaca, Stichting Health Base, Houten, 2002.
- Interactions between carbamazepine and topiramate on drugs.com
The editors of psychiatrienet.nl take the greatest care to provide up-to-date and accurate information on this site. Nevertheless, mistakes and omissions cannot be entirely excluded. No rights devolve from the information provided. The editors and other providers of information to this site accept no responsibility for the content of this site or for the information provided therein; neither do they accept responsibility for possible damages which may derive from the use of the information on this site or from the linked sites. The editorial board accepts no responsibility for the content of the (linked) sites, for access to them, or for the products and services on these sites, nor for the occurrence of errors, viruses, and/or disruptions in service.