Switch medication from fluoxetine to venlafaxine.
- Before day 1: reduce dosage of fluoxetine with about 20 mg per week.
- Day 1: when a dosage of 20 mg/day is reached, stop fluoxetine.
No wash-out period is needed.
- Day 2: start venlafaxine the next day in low dosage of 37,5 mg/day.
- Day 22: increase dosage of venlafaxine to normal, 75 mg/day.
- Day 29: gradually increase dosage of venlafaxine, if necessary.
- Fluoxetine and its metababolite desmethyl-fluoxetine have a very long elimination time of about 1 week; phasing out fluoxetine is therefore not necessary.
- Occurrence of the serotonin syndrome is not likely, but theoretically possible, so caution is necessary.
- Fluoxetine and norfluoxetine inhibit the metabolism of venlafaxine via CYP2D6.
The editors of psychiatrienet.nl take the greatest care to provide up-to-date and accurate information on this site. Nevertheless, mistakes and omissions cannot be entirely excluded. No rights devolve from the information provided. The editors and other providers of information to this site accept no responsibility for the content of this site or for the information provided therein; neither do they accept responsibility for possible damages which may derive from the use of the information on this site or from the linked sites. The editorial board accepts no responsibility for the content of the (linked) sites, for access to them, or for the products and services on these sites, nor for the occurrence of errors, viruses, and/or disruptions in service.