- In general after long-term maintenance treatment, the best is to reduce the dose by about 25% every 4-6 weeks. An apt pharmaceutical dose (tablet, capsule, mixture) is not always available. In these cases one should be creative with dosing.
- Another, more risky, possibility is being at a certain dose to use the following scheme:
- 20 mg/day :
- Day 1: reduce dosage of escitalopram to 10 mg/day.
- Day 15: stop administration of escitalopram.
- The UK Drug and Therapeutics Bulletin; 1999;37:49-52
- Editor: please note that not all dosages are available in pharmacy. So now and then you should be creative.
- Moleman P, Geneesmiddelen voor de geest: een praktische gids. Amsterdam: Nieuwezijds; 2007. p.55.(Dutch)
- Markowitz JS et al. An assessment of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor discontinuation symptoms with citalopram. Int Clin Psychopharmacol. 2000 Nov;15(6):329-33
The editors of psychiatrienet.nl take the greatest care to provide up-to-date and accurate information on this site. Nevertheless, mistakes and omissions cannot be entirely excluded. No rights devolve from the information provided. The editors and other providers of information to this site accept no responsibility for the content of this site or for the information provided therein; neither do they accept responsibility for possible damages which may derive from the use of the information on this site or from the linked sites. The editorial board accepts no responsibility for the content of the (linked) sites, for access to them, or for the products and services on these sites, nor for the occurrence of errors, viruses, and/or disruptions in service.